Ingredients for the Cookies
¼ cup ghee, melted
¼ cup pure maple syrup
¼ cup pure maple sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg, room temperature
2 cups blanched almond flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
¾ cup chopped walnuts
Ingredients for the Maple Glaze
½ cup maple sugar
2 teaspoons almond milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
Instructions for the Cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350° F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the ghee, maple syrup, maple sugar, vanilla, and egg until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture until a sticky dough forms. Then stir in the chopped walnuts.
3. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 10-20 minutes. Scoop the dough using a medium cookie scoop (about 1.5 Tbsp) onto the prepared baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Very gently press down the top of each mound – the cookies will still spread but this helps them out.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then carefully transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Instructions for the Maple Glaze
1. While the cookies cool, add ½ cup maple sugar to a high-speed blender until it turns into a fine powder. Be sure to measure the powder, not the coarse sugar, to make sure you end up with ½ cup powdered maple sugar. Blend more maple sugar if needed.
2. Mix together the powdered maple sugar, almond milk, and vanilla to get a drizzly consistency. Add just a drop more almond milk if the mixture is too thick.
3. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies as desired. Allow the glaze to set for about 20 minutes, then serve and enjoy! Store leftover cookies covered at room temperature for the first two days or cover and refrigerate for up to a week.
Inspired by Paleo Running Momma