Ingredients for the Cauliflower (Mac)
1 ½ heads cauliflower
2 Tbsp Ghee
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup water
Ingredients for the Cheese Sauce
2 Tbsp Ghee
1 small yellow squash or butternut squash (cut into small cubes) about 1 cup
1 small carrot, peeled and diced
½ small sweet onion, diced
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¾ teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 can coconut milk
1 egg yolk
Pepper, to taste
Instructions for the Cauliflower
1. Cut the stalks and leaves off the cauliflower and break it into small pieces.
2. Add the cauliflower to a large sauté pan, along with the Ghee, salt, and water. Place on medium-high heat and cover with a lid.
3. Let the cauliflower steam for about 5 minutes, until mostly tender. Check the water levels every few minutes to make sure it doesn’t all evaporate.
4. When almost tender, remove the lid and let the cauliflower sauté for a minute or two, or until lightly caramelized in spots.
5. Turn off the heat, cover, and keep warm until ready to toss with the cheese sauce.
Instructions for the Cheese Sauce
1. Heat the Ghee in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the squash, carrot, onion, garlic powder, mustard, and salt to the melted Ghee.
2. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add coconut milk to the saucepan and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the coconut milk has reduced by 2/3. Mixture should be fairly thick.
3. Pour the vegetables and coconut milk in a blender and puree until extremely smooth. Immediately add the egg yolk to the puree and blend well. The hot puree will cook the egg which will thicken the sauce and give it a rich texture.
4. Check seasonings and add more salt or pepper to taste, if desired.
5. Pour over the hot cauliflower and toss to coat. Enjoy!
Inspired by My Natural Family